Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

Monday, May 10, 2010

Starlight Studio

This semester I was fortunate enough to be able to explore the art classroom with Art Therapy Studies. While my position was at Sweet Home High School, some of my classmates were placed at Starlight Studio, or volunteered there in their free time. Starlight Studios provide the opportunity for individuals with special needs to become art makers, and the work they produce is incredible. The paintings, sculptures and weavings that are created are an obvious tribute to the notion that all people are capable of learning, and expressing themselves, no matter what their disability. Personally, I have a soft spot for all of the abstract pieces that are present, because throughout the semester I have learned that an abstract state of mind is often difficult for people with special needs to express.

1 comment:

  1. So I like your blog, but what about the name? Why didn't we know about it. Can you figure out how to play music. I'm writing my life story this summer. What song should I use?

    ReplyDelete